EP245: Swearing Is Good For You with Dr Emma Byrne
“Bad language” is a divisive issue for writers. Some revel in it, others work hard to keep it clean. Dr Emma Byrne is the author of Swearing Is Good For You, which takes a look a scientific at the benefits of cussing. In this really entertaining and informative episode we talk to Emma Byrne about the history of swearing, its negative associations and the uses of swearing in fiction for both adults and children.
In this episode you will learn…
- Why we swear and how to use it effectively in your writing
- Why we’re more judgemental of women who swear
- And that Charlotte Bronte was a defender of swearing in fiction!
Here are some of the links we talked about in the show…
- Sign up to the BXP2020 Challenge here: https://bestsellerexperiment.com/bxp2020/
- Get 20% off PROWRITING AID here!
- Support us on Patreon and join our exclusive Facebook Group: https://www.patreon.com/bestsellerexperiment
- Back to Reality is now available on Audible!
- Here from Audible.com
- And here from Audible UK
- Buy Back to Reality: https://bestsellerexperiment.com/backtoreality/
- Support Jenni Desvaux’s book The Very Last Monster Book: http://lastmonsters.com
- Buy The End of Magic: https://markstaywrites.com/the-end-of-magic/
- Mr. Stay’s Writer Services: https://markstaywrites.com/writer-services/
- Emma’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/sciwriby
- Emma’s website: https://emmabyrne.net
- Emma’s article on swearing in Children’s Books: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/oct/24/philip-pullman-swearwords-lesson-for-children-la-belle-sauvage
BUY Back to Reality – the novel from the Podcast
Find out more at https://bestsellerexperiment.com/backtoreality
Thanks for listening and joining us. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below.
SPREAD THE LOVE
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
SUBSCRIBE, RATE & REVIEW ON ITUNES
Please do subscribe on iTunes and leave an honest review for The Bestseller Experiment Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them. Don’t forget, when subscribing to the show on iTunes you will get automatic updates.
If you have any questions, you can contact us here.
Back to Reality – the Novel – BUY HERE
Bestseller Experiment: Facebook | Twitter (@bestsellerxp) | Instagram | Pinterest
Mark Stay: Contact | Twitter | Mark Stay Writes Blog
Mark Desvaux: Contact |Web Site | Facebook | Twitter
Links featured in today’s show:
Bestseller Experiment’s Vault of Gold. Sign up to get your free Writer’s ebook
Question Mark: Have a question you want answered on the show? Click here.
SHARE THE PODCAST WITH A FRIEND
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BESTSELLER EXPERIMENT PODCAST!
We talk about our personal goals for 2019 and reveal our new insane challenge for 2019… and once again we’re inviting our listeners to beat us to it.