EP163: Working With Editors – David M Barnett
David M Barnett is the bestselling author of Calling Major Tom, a book that came at a crossroads in his life and came out of a conversation with an editor. How much control do editors have over what an author writes? David takes us through an extraordinary change in his career and how it led to some incredible sales.
To support the show, check out bestsellerexperiment.com/support
Our novel Back To Reality is out now bestsellerexperiment.com/backtoreality
In This Episode You Will Discover
- How to hustle for work as a writer and make opportunities for yourself
- Why you don’t need a series of books to be a bestseller
- How to generate story ideas that have built-in PR appeal
- Insight on how to work with an editor at a major publisher
Here are some of the links we talked about in the show…
- Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/bestsellerexperiment
- Support Jenni Desvaux’s book The Very Last Monster Book: http://lastmonsters.com
- Pre-order The End of Magic: https://unbound.com/books/end-of-magic/
- Back to Reality: https://bestsellerexperiment.com/backtoreality/
- Scrivener: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/
- Damonza (10% off all packages with code bestsellerxp): https://damonza.com/bestsellerxp/
- David’s Twitter
- Lonely Hearts Cinema Club cover art
- Growing Pains of Jennifer Ebert cover art
- Our listeners have been dreaming about us
- Join Mark Stay at the How To Get Published one-day masterclass at Foyles, Charing Cross Road (get 10% off with the code TBE20) https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/how-to-get-published-tickets-39261031803
- Blog post on joining our Facebook Group: https://bestsellerexperiment.com/join-our-private-bestseller-writers-group/
BUY Back to Reality – the novel from the Podcast
Find out more at https://bestsellerexperiment.com/backtoreality
Thanks for listening and joining us. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below.
SPREAD THE LOVE
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
SUBSCRIBE, RATE & REVIEW ON ITUNES
Please do subscribe on iTunes and leave an honest review for The Bestseller Experiment Podcast on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and we read each and every one of them. Don’t forget, when subscribing to the show on iTunes you will get automatic updates.
If you have any questions, you can contact us here.
Back to Reality – the Novel – BUY HERE
Bestseller Experiment: Facebook | Twitter (@bestsellerxp) | Instagram | Pinterest
Scrivener – Software for Writing (20% off – use coupon BESTSELLERXP)
Unbound and The End of Magic: Web Site
The Very Last Monster Book – Jennifer Desvaux: http://lastmonsters.com
WIN! A professionally designed Book Cover Package (Print and ebook) worth $595 from Damonza.com https://bestsellerexperiment.com/cover/
10% off all packages with code bestsellerxp www.damonza.com/bestsellerxp
Mark Stay: Contact | Twitter | Mark Stay Writes Blog
Mark Desvaux: Contact |Web Site | Facebook | Twitter
Links featured in today’s show:
Bestseller Experiment’s Vault of Gold. Sign up to get your free Writer’s ebook
Question Mark: Have a question you want answered on the show? Click here.
SHARE THE PODCAST WITH A FRIEND
SUBSCRIBE TO THE BESTSELLER EXPERIMENT PODCAST!
We talk about our personal goals for 2019 and reveal our new insane challenge for 2019… and once again we’re inviting our listeners to beat us to it.